18 abril 2022

Let's talk about getting old.


I remember when I was in my twenties, I felt I had all the time in the world and that I had the time to stay in bed all day playing with my xbox.

Now those days seems to be far away, I am entering into a new phase in my life where I have to make every day count. I feel the need of learning something new, either a new fact or a new skill.

These thoughts come as I recently read about what's like to get old, first hand from Jeremy Clarkson himself.

It's not like I know the guy but as a public figure I (more or less) have an idea about how he is, what is like to be with him... I wouldn't say I am a fan as he has lots of flaws in his personality.

But reading his article I can get an idea of what's to get older and I use that to compare with what I think of what's like to get old (i mean old-old as someone older than 60 years old)

In short: it sucks. At least that's what I get after reading about getting old from the Clarkson perspective. 

In my case I think (and hope) getting older will be a game played differently because since I was young I put lots of emphasis on exercise, not always for the same reason but always as a constant through my life. I have experience on several martial arts, running marathons, swimming, etc. My intention was never to look good when I'd become an old man but to have a quality life until the very end instead of having a longer life.

I had an uncle that spent several years going and coming from the hospital because he needed to have his blood cleaned due to diabetes, his kidneys weren't working anymore. I knew the hard work he had to put just to stay alive and what was his legacy? Of course he left a couple of kids(ejem, now adults), a house and some other material assets BUT I am talking about what was the point to extend his life that way if there was no purpose?

Also I have been thinking in how my days are going to end and everything comes down to one of the following options:

  1. An instant kill result of a motorbike crash.
  2. My conscience slowly fading away because I have a lunacy tendency.
  3. Some other disease I am unaware of at the moment, like cancer.
Of course it's not good to die, I always said that the most important thing in this life is being alive. That might sound dumb to you but bear with me: JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE BREATHING DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE ALIVE.

See what I am talking about? I'm writing about living.
This is why I'm in disagreement with Jeremy Clarkson when he says that in his last days he has to "pass time" doing some gardening, watching the grass grow or things like that. There has to be more before our last breath abandon our bodies, we have to be doing something unless you're completely unable to.

If you can't walk, do something with your hands. If you can use your arms, do something with your mouth. If your mouth doesn't work either, find a way to communicate and continue sharing your experience. I'm 100% sure that we all have great life experiences to share, local jokes and takes on life that shouldn't die with us.

Well, It seems that I am again where I always got somehow: You have to keep learning and trying new things. But this time it's not only about getting more skills but also to do some goddamn exercise and eat healthy.

All of what I've been writing so far in this post is about how to get old with grace, to be useful until the day comes where we have to kick the bucket. And not just surrender and accept you can't just do this or that, I mean yes , that day will definitely come but let's make sure that day is one of those of our final days. 

That's how I plan to die young even if I'm 62 when my time comes.

Comentarios de facebook aqui...

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario

Dejame un bonito mensaje.